The Software Engineering Manager will manage and mentor a team of skilled, highly motivated software developers and a quality assurance engineer, while providing architecture oversight and operational support guidance for custom and business critical platforms used in the enterprise. The environment is fast paced and time to market of applications is critical to the success of the organization.
This position will be part of a dynamic team that is dedicated to delivering applications for high-quality, on-time software releases leveraging best-of-breed agile and DevOps practices with a focus on how to enable the operations of those applications through a combination of infrastructure solutioning, continuous delivery & integration, and efficient system sustainment planning.
This role is responsible for leading technical design, development, delivery, and operation of applications while managing respective agile work-streams closely. The applications supported by this team are shared across multiple business lines and so require the coordination of multiple, often competing prioritization concerns. In this capacity, the Software Engineering Manager will need to develop effective working relationships with various members of application development, infrastructure, customer support, property management and central operations teams.
The Software Engineering Manager will balance their time between leading the development team, focusing on execution, influencing improvements, thought leadership on the development process, and contributing in the coding and development of our applications.
- This role should have prior experience managing development teams working on internal and customer facing applications, as well as working closely with teams providing operational support for infrastructure architecture & 3rd party cloud platforms.
- The candidate should have a strong understanding of agile software development and how that impacts the operations of software; and must participate in strategy discussion with all levels of management and business sponsors.
- A deep background in system integration & service oriented architecture is required. Experience working on mobile and responsive web development is preferred.
- Work closely with the VP of IT to understand the technology roadmap and assist in enforcing the enterprise architecture standards.
- Experience with Salesforce/Force.com and Amazon Web Services (AWS) platforms strongly preferred.
- Review project requirements & business cases to develop technical designs and lead teams to implement changes within the Salesforce instance & AWS platform.
- Manage change requests to the custom web applications and mobile iOS applications.
- Manage technical delivery of applications using both in-house development teams as well as consultants on strategic projects.
- Provide overall leadership to define and lead a change review committee.
- Support testing & deployment cycles, including working with project managers to coordinate useracceptance testing (UAT) and gathering feedback from pre-release testers.
- Ability to log, track, and manage issues, bugs, and enhancement/ features requests logged in JIRA.
- Participate in software release and post-release activities, including developing designs for proof of concepts.
- Oversee on-going systems administration, maintenance, and support functions.
- Capture, mitigate and /or escalate risks & issues in a timely fashion.
- Ensure development standards and consistency of specifications across sub-systems.
- Write and/or review deliverables, solution blueprints, and architecture documentation.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related technology subject area required.
- SalesForce skills required.
- 6+ years of overall experience in software development and 5+ years of hands-on object oriented programming experience: Java or C# preferred.
- 4+ years of management experience in an operational environment overseeing production systems.
- Experience in resourcing, staffing and delivery of technical solutions with a given budget.
- Excellent organization skills and ability to effectively multitask in a dynamic and fast paced work environment.
- ITIL understanding and familiarity with modern application architecture design patterns.
- Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) and ability to communicate effectively with business owners in escalated or tense situations.
- Experience deploying and managing applications on AWS or Azure a strong plus.
- Salesforce experience strongly preferred: Apex classes and triggers, SOQL, or Visual Force.
- Experience with relational databases a strong plus: SQL queries, views, and stored procedures.
- Experience with entire software development lifecycle (Agile, SDLC, Iterative).
- Proven experience with integrated systems required.
- Experience with software and database performance tuning.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Flexibility and positive attitude to achieve tight deadlines.
- Solid detail-oriented documentation skills.
- Strong balance of business and technical skills and ability to "translate technical concepts clearly to non-technical decision-makers.
- Rapidly adapt and respond to changes in environment and priorities.
- Ability to work with a complex stakeholder group across geographical boundaries.
- Ability to work creatively, propose ideas and contribute to working groups.
This brief summary is not an all-inclusive description of job duties. Other job duties and responsibilities may also be assigned by the incumbent's supervisor at any time based upon Company need.