The individual or team must have in depth knowledge of the following technologies:
- Wireless networks such as Wi-Fi, cellular (3G, 4G, LTE, 5G, 6G, etc.), point-to-point, point-to-multipoint, etc.;
- Technologies employed for wireless connectivity of IoT (Internet of Things) devices;
- Fiber optic;
- Cloud hosted service models;
- Public-private partnerships models;
- Neutral host model; and
- Network Information Security.
While knowledge of Public Safety Land Mobile Radio is necessary, this individual or team will specifically look at other wireless technologies that focus on Smart City wireless connectivity and networks of networks.
Scope of Work
The scope of work for this engagement includes:
- Performing an assessment on the current state of the City's networks;
- Identifying gaps that exist in relation to the requirements for supporting the Smart City efforts
- Developing an acquisition strategy that best satisfies user requirements, offers long-term viability and is suited to the City's infrastructure; and
- Developing recommendations for:
- Preferred technologies to be used in conjunction with currently implemented technologies;
- Prioritizing and phasing of the recommended strategic initiatives;
- A staffing model for implementing and maintaining a City-wide communications network; and
- Additional points of interest as identified.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Following the architecture development methodology established by the City's Enterprise Architecture;
- Researching and developing documentation of current and future state, roadmaps, and transition plans that support system initiatives;
- Defining, communicating, and documenting the standards and technology for the assigned discipline;
- Engaging with the multi-departmental project team for regular feedback to understand how well each wired and wireless network is serving its customers;
- Understanding and communicating how the communication network architectures interact, support, and integrate with other technologies and information systems in concert with other system architects;
- Leading the analysis of the current technology environment to detect critical deficiencies and recommend solutions for improvement;
- Providing budget estimates;
- Recommending improvements; and
- Leading the analysis of the technology industry and market trends to determine their potential impact on the assigned discipline.