An Agile Coach is instrumental in providing coaching and mentoring in support of Agile approaches such as Scrum and Kanban methods, practices and frameworks
. The role is responsible for coaching and enabling agile behaviors and practices while encouraging agile values and principles.
An Agile Coach will influence all levels of the organization to drive increased agility, speed, quality, autonomy and innovation while nurturing an environment of transparency. An Agile Coach understands that the outcome of their success is seen through the behaviors of others, and they provide the kind of coaching necessary to enable this. This role is key to enabling people to understand, learn and behave in an agile way that drives customer and business value while creating a healthy, agile team culture.
Required Skills and Experience
- Coaches, mentors and guides agile teams on their journey to becoming self-sustaining, high performing agile teams.
- Drives adoption of Agile practices, techniques, and frameworks such as Scrum and Kanban, reducing the gap between agile theory and practice.
- Drives continuous improvement initiatives, which encourage the adoption of agile practices and result in improved project execution
- Builds expertise in the agile discipline by coaching multiple Scrum teams
- Performs assessments and co-creates (with the team) continuous improvement plans for Agile teams at varying levels of Agile maturity.
- Defines and ensures consistent agile standards and best practices
- Identifies organizational impediments to successful Agile transformation and works with the leadership team to create effective strategies to overcome them.
- Creates and delivers presentations and training sessions with an eye on process and related best practices
- Provides guidance on creating Agile artifacts.
- Partners with other Agile Coaches and Scrum Masters across the organization to align and drive consistency and transparency throughout the organization.
- Organizes and facilitates workshops that promote Agile maturity across the organization.
- Serves as subject matter expert (SME) across the organization for Scrum, Kanban and Lean methodologies
- Defines and supports Agile estimation methods, Release Planning and other scaling activities and events
- Defines and monitors metrics/scorecards to measure Agile maturity and helps develop and execute plans to improve maturity
- Fosters an environment of mutual respect and cooperation, transparency, autonomy, agility, learning, innovation, quality and speed of execution.
- Builds solid working relationships and utilizes effective negotiation and persuasion skills in working across the organizations.
- Deep understanding of Agile values, principles, and practices (Scrum and Kanban).
- Hands on experience in Scrum & Kanban as well as Agile scaling methodologies - such as LeSS, SaS and SAFe
- Strong facilitation and communication skills.
- Strong Interpersonal and conflict resolution skills.
- Effective leadership and negotiation skills.
- Adaptive coaching style and the ability to work hands-on with teams in an advisor role with the ability to adapt based on the agile readiness of the team.
- Enthusiastic and maintains a positive, high-energy attitude.
- Drive for continuous learning.
- Highly efficient in coaching Scrum Masters, team members and Product Owners.
- 3+ years' experience executing Agile projects in large, complex environments.
- 2 years' experience in coaching, mentoring and training new Agile/Scrum teams.
- 6+ years in a project delivery roles (technical role preferred)
Preferred Certification, Skills and Experience
- Coaching experience in a complex, large agile environment
- Agile transformation or other organizational change experience
- Knowledgeable in DevOps practices
- Ability to coach technical practices (TDD, Pair programming, ATDD)
- Certifications: Advanced Scrum Master (A-CSM), Product Owner (CSPO), Certified Team Coach (CTC)